Blog Post 9: Visual Documentation of the Brainstorming Session

Visual documentation of group discussions and brainstorms are valuable evidences that enable us as designers to monitor our thought processes. However because of my absence in week 6, I unfortunately missed out on this task’s briefing. It seems like I missed out on so much content when I’d only been away for a single day. To make up for my loss, I started my own personal documentation of brainstorming – more accurate and in depth than the very brief notes I had for blog post 8.

I had two major research areas I wanted to translate into consolidated design propositions;

  1. Raising awareness about refugees amongst the Australian audiences, in particular consideration to the younger demographic.
  2. How can we further assist refugees to settle in Australia in more of a social context?

So I went back to my original 3 (more like 2 – 2&3 is very similar in nature) problem statements/focus questions, and tried to refine them a little more by analytically brainstorming the statements.

Visual Doc 1 Post 9.jpg

I focused on elaborating the key statement by analysing the terms/phrases. The first brainstorm focuses on how to ‘Raise awareness in refugee/asylum seeker issues amongst younger Australian audience/demographics’. I tried to list out the varying nature of these barriers imposed against the audience from understanding the issue and actively engaging with them.

Visual Doc 2 Post 9.jpg

The second proposal statement was figuring out how to ‘Encourage the Australian community to help/assist refugees in settling in Australia, in both emotional and social senses.’ In the mindmap it became evident that there had to be a solid understanding of what the refugees/asylum seekers went through for the Australian audience to be able to effectively reach out. Empathy came to light as the predominant facet in this proposal as I sketched out what kind of problems were faced by the refugees, ranging from emotional/mental/physical health to possible solutions and the qualities that they should possess.

The weakness in this exercise was that I had limited input from other people, as I missed out on the class in week 6, and I resorted to having light discussions with few people from last weeks class in my own separate time.

The strength in this exercise is that I was able to consolidate my own thoughts a little better – through this mindmapping exercise I can pick out what focal aspects I should address in my proposition. Setting up a range of related issues in both problem statements (they’re really more like an overarching brief proposal) laid out in front of me felt like I was setting up a steady framework from which I could build my design proposal from.