– Ngoc Tram Nguyen –
I started by answering a few questions to work out the key points that help me build my proposal.
I focused on the accessibility to the treatment of people with mental illness in the remote area of Australia. In the group age of 18- 24.
- Who does the problem effect?
People in this age group might mostly have to face with stress from studying and working. As well as relationship
- What are the boundaries of the problem?
Geographical isolation and lack of access to the healthcare facility are the limitations in the remote area of Australia.
- When does the problem occur?
A rising number of people who committed suicide among the youth has been reported in the recent years, and this threatens the future of the young generation and the society as a whole.
- Where does the problem occur? When does it need to be fixed?
I’m considering the accessibility to mental health service in the remote and rural area of Australia, and as the recent report showing an increasing number in youth suicide, this problem needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
- Why is it important to fix it?
Improve the accessibility of mental health treatment can help decrease the number of people who suffers from issues that relate to mentality and improve the quality of life and well-being in the community.
Brainstorming with my group about possible design responses:
I’m particularly interested in the design interventions that explores users behaviors and really enjoyed my previous user experiences projects. This drives me a lot more toward service design where I can find a solution to the issues by understanding users behaviors and experiences. As listed out in the map that our group created together, the solution can be an app or a digital platform that helps the target audience get easy access to hospital treatments.
My draft proposal:
Design an intervention that can help young people in the remote area develop their mental wellness by sending an alert to people surround so they can come and talk when they feel down.
In more details about this service:
- An online platform which connects/ includes:
- A rating system that interacts with the users and tracks their level of emotional wellness
- An alert system that requests interaction from surrounding people when the user showing hints of mental instability and
- Youth friendly UI/UX, be subtle because young people tend to hide their problems and have trouble sharing their hard feelings.
- /Siri, Tumblr /text messages.
- Moving forward: Research on Tasmania youth as an example. What mental issues that they are facing, their leisure activity and which factors contribute to their wellness. Draw on research that leads to where you can meet the need of this group of people.