Climate change has become a serious globalized issue which is concerned by social media, economy and science. And this issue is interrelated to my life as well since I can see and find the articles, advertisements, and news around my life being concerned with climate change. This interests me in how people think about climate change. In order to gain more insight into how other people think about this issue, and what attitude does people take towards climate change. I conducted an interview in the class and probe with other people.
My interview question
- What comes to your mind when you heard of the “Climate Change”? Why do you get this?
- How important is climate change to you? Can rate from 1-10, 1 is not important and 10 is very important. Do you think it impact you, in what way? Why?
- Do you consider climate change in daily basis? Like how often do you think about environmental issue in your daily life? Do you recycle your rubbish ? (If no can you recall a memory of what were told about climate change from a friend or family member? Does it affect you personally? If yes what do you think that there are anything you can do more?)
- Can you give an example of your personal experience about climate change? how do you feel about it? Can you think of any evidence of climate change? like can you feel the warm?
- What would motivate you to do something about the problem? when would you feel the need to? What would make you feel easier to do something?
- Did you heard about air pollution and smog? How to explain it? How do you think it means to you?
As a group, we discussed several questions in the class about climate change the interviewee may notice in the daily life. Some general questions will be asked at the first, and the interviewee need to answer yes or no. Then I will ask open question where the interviewee is supposed to give us a descriptive opinion to this topic.
My interviewee is my classmate from other issues group, and she never does research about the climate change. My interviewee was thinking about melting Ice Caps, pollution when climate change came to her mind, she heard about this issues mostly from the keywords in news. Because climate change is a globalized issue, people around us talk about it. She thought this issue is important to us, because she can feel it in daily life, such as temperature variation and short winter. She said she likes winter since it makes her comfortable. However, the winter is getting shorter cause of climate change. She mentioned that she would avoid using plastic bag if she buys something, because she thinks degradable material is one of factors that casus climate change.
On the other hand, she also mentioned that old people do not believe climate change is influencing our lives, because they do not concern with this issue as much as we are. In additional, she claimed that some animals were treated by climate change in Tasmania and this is a point I did not research before. In the end, she suggested that the government should build more rubbish bins in the public place, which may lessen the rubbish on the ground, keeping city tidy. When I asked her did she classify rubbish, she said yes. In Australia, there are classified rubbish bin called household waste and recycle bins outside house where there are 3 different color for 3 different types of waste. I can see them all the time. Rubbish classification is a small move, but I think this is a good way to get environment better.
Since I will do some further research to compare air pollution in different countries, I asked my classmate,who is an Australian, some questions about smog in China, She said she heard about it but she did not see smog in Australia.
Above is a survey I made for my interviewees. In order to gain more information and insight into interview, I interviewed other people who have different sights in climate change. In order to compare people’s attitude from different countries to climate change, I interviewed two Chinese. And I focus on age 18 to 25, because I think this age group is energetic and they dare to try new things and activities. I hope this age group can do something to encourage public pay more attention to climate change. I summarized their answer which comes following.
Wang is 23 years old, and she is a staff working in airport. In terms of working in airport, she thinks climate change is really serious issue to her. I mentioned to her that I researched a news before which is about the relationship between airplane emissions and climate change. She agreed with the correlation between those 2 factors, and she said that air pollution was not just from cars emissions, also was caused by airplane emissions. About recycle rubbish, she said that she classifies rubbish when she is outside. However, she doe not classify rubbish at home, because her family and her neighbors usually put rubbish to a place where there is no rubbish classification. She always use public traffic to work, she said this is a continent way and it is a green lifestyle. Since I will focus on air pollution in further research, I also ask question about air pollution. Actually, she studied in Beijing before. She mentioned that air pollution is very common in Beijing, so she knows smog and how smog is serious in Beijing. In the end, she mentioned that she would suggest her family and colleague using recycle rubbish bin.
Lee, 19 years old, is a university student. He heard of climate change from school and news. He thinks that climate change to him, is like a word you know its meaning, but you do not know what does means to you. He does not often think about environmental issue in his daily life, because he is busy in studying his major, which is not related to climate change in university. Lee also said that he does not recycle rubbish personally, because he usually ignores small things or details in daily life. In addition, I mentioned to him that smog is a serious social problem in China, and I asked his opinion to smog. He thought the smog was very common, the social media and news reported smog frequently. Even he knew it from his own experience too. To sum up, he said that he would be more concern with climate change and also classify rubbish and waste.
Five points summarized from what I learnt during my probe:
- China does not have a system for sorting rubbish, Australian have great awareness of environmental protection.
- Everyone knows climate change, but many people do not know how to decelerate climate change.
- Younger people do not have strong sense of protect environment.
- Air pollution is globalized issue, but more serious in China.
- Climate change is changing our life slowly, we should do something against it immediately.